Sunday, February 5, 2012

Its halftime America, and our second half's about to begin...

Since today’s Super Bowl (SB) Giants-Patriots match-up has about as much importance to me as the Philadelphia Eagles existence (ie: none), let’s focus on other important things surrounding the Bowl.

1)      Commercials:
Winners- Sketchers, French bulldog racing with greyhounds (adorable, I’m a sucker for small dogs with big ears), Doritos with baby.
2)      Losers: I get it- the Super Bowl sells cars. I’m glad Detroit is back at it. But does that have to monopolize so much of my SB commercial enjoyment? Also, blue bottles and new names don’t make a crappy beer any good. Budweiser is not a real beer (sorry NJ readers, I know this revelation might have the same impact as discovering the truth about Santa Claus). Next time I grab some buds, it certainly won’t involve anything Budweiser related.

3)      Madonna at Halftime: four stars. Out of four. Madonna as Cleopatra, two of my favorite ancient civilizations (Egypt and Rome) blend with some type of futuristic/spacey Richard Simmons as cupid. Love it.

I went on a New York Times hunt today, and came up empty-handed after striking out with tries at three different storefronts. The Sunday NYT is one of my favorite pastimes, and continuing the sabbath without it made me sad. I would endure, however, without any detailed international news, sports-related George Vecsey features, engrossing NYC real estate updates or the latest Ivy League financier engagement and settled for a good ol’ Philadelphia Inquirer. Shout out to the Inky for giving my La Salle Explorers a front-page sports section spot for their tight loss to the SJU Hawks last night. Good stuff, given its Super Bowl Sunday.

I have an exciting announcement to make, but I’ll let you wonder for a few days. It involves the first Farm Office feature interview with a local businessman. Hmmm…

Drinking: Harpoon Winter Warmer
Reading: The Philadelphia Inquirer (duh)

No comments:

Post a Comment