Sunday, January 29, 2012

Fresh to Death Sunday

It's a lazy Sunday morning and I made homemade salsa and pesto. I'm especially proud of my salsa, let's call it The $4 Fresh Salsa, because I grabbed the tomatoes out of the reduce bin at the co-op where everything goes for 50 cents/lb.

The $4 Fresh Salsa
Five organic tomatoes $1.00
A bunch of cilantro      $1.25
Three cloves garlic          .75
 Half white onion             .50
                                1 jalapeno pepper            .50
                                Salt

Chop or food process everything in a bowl, pour into mason jars- serve chilled. Ofcourse,  the tomatoes would usually be more expensive, but if you can find a produce deal, grab it and figure out what to make.

Read of the Day: Six Fresh Deals, Greater Philadelphia Coalition Against Hunger
Did you know families on food stamps in Philly can use their money at farm stands, even get extra incentive for shopping at these stands?

 Side note: I apologize for the poor quality of my camera phone, I've dropped my it 10 too many times, a new and improved camera too come soon I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment